Monday, February 04, 2008

Now THAT was a Football Game!!!

For the past few years the Super Bowl has frankly bored me. All the hoopla surrounding the game distracts from regular old football. Halftimes are meant for marching bands, not old rock and rollers and wardrobe malfunctions. Commercials are funny but often inappropriate. This year was different. Partially from the fact that I now have a DVR and therefore can choose to fast forward or pause through the distracting stuff. At Halftime I put the kids to bed and paused the "show" part of the game. After cleaning the kitchen, I "unpaused" the game and fast forwarded to the start of the third quarter. I even had a buffer so I could fast forward through more commercials. The game was lower scoring and not particularly clean which I actually liked. But best of all, The Giants won! Am I a Giant fan? No. But everyone loves the underdog. The Giants, playing the role of David, beat the Patriots, playing the role of the Giant! (Now that's confusing). What an exciting finish too! The Patriots finish the season 18-1. But boy is that a big 1! (The '72 Dolphins are probably pretty happy right now). And Patriot's coach, Bill Belichick, remained true to his "sportsmanship" by running into the locker room before the game was over. He consistently either refuses to shake hands with other coaches or is sour when he does. I like coaches with integrity and class. Of course I have some friends from New England who are probably not very happy today, and so I sort of feel for them. But they have had their share of success lately, so I think they'll recover. And congratulations to the Giants and their fans. I know a few folks back in Northern New Jersey who are very happy this morning.

6 comments:

Starling said...

Wasn't it fantastic? I don't even care about football, and it was great. Now, if only Gisele would dump Tom Brady, this would be a truly fabulous week. The commercials were mostly pretty bad, though.

And Tom Petty was FANTASTIC (can't believe you didn't watch that halftime show!)!

Aimee Ashley Myers said...

Yeah Giants! It was awesome! Did you like the coke commercial with Charlie Brown. I thought that was good and family-friendly :)

Anonymous said...

There are 27 major flaws with this posting and 63 major flaws with Starling's comment. I don't have time to go into them now but as far as the posting goes, let me just say this ......

In no way does reading this hate-mongering about the Patriots help anyone improve their Geography skills. That alone should give you pause.

Anonymous said...

You said Belichick "consistently either refuses to shake hands with other coaches or is sour when he does." I've watched every Pats game this season except for one. At the end of each game, the TV cameras specifically focus on Belichick and he has shaken every coaches' hand after the game.

The whole "leaving before the game was done" is overblown. The clock had actually expired and everyone was heading to the locker room when the officials put a second back on the clock.

Congrats to the Giants. They outplayed the Pats.

Unknown said...

Wow.

Starling: I stopped and listened to about 30 seconds of each song. He still sounded pretty good...although I've never been a huge Tom Petty Fan.

Aimee: Yeah, I actually smiled and said to Tina, "Charlie Brown got the Coke." I always wanted that guy to come out on top at least once.

Rob: You're just sour. You know you're my pal and I would never want you to go back west to the Cape. ;-)

NeighborhoodPatsFan: I believe you that he shakes hands. But I also believe that the camera is focusing on him to see if he will actually do this. (In other words, we question it). Regardless, when he does he appears sour, like he genuinely hates the competition. (I look at how he interacted with Tony Dungy after the Colts game this year as an example of this). When he left before the game was over, he passed the referee who, I'm sure, told him the game wasn't over. He pushed by him anyhow. Perhaps he's a great guy, but when you are terse at best with the media, have been caught cheating, and have a history of being less than gracious with the competition it's hard to get the benefit of the doubt. So perhaps it's overblown, but it's hard to sell that. Regardless, between his on-field coaching and the personnel moves that always turn heads but still yield results, he's obviously a brilliant coach. I just wish he was a sportsman too.

Wendy said...

G-I-A-N-T-S!!

I even went to the ticker tape parade. I have some of my shots uploaded on Google's Picasa web album! Woo!