Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What kind of parent am I?

So this week, my oldest son has "Spirit Week" at his school. Monday was Martin Luther King Day so there wasn't school, but each day after has a theme:

  • Tuesday was "Geek Day." Considering I'm in I.T. you'd think we'd have something for him to wear in order to come across as a geek. Well, first we forgo, But even if we did remember, the only thing I could think of doing would be for him to somehow emulate me, but considering this is the same person who may someday pick out my nursing home, that just wouldn't be right.
  • Today is Superhero day. Well, my son may know who Superman or Spider-Man is, but that's it. He has never seen either show or movie. We were stuck, but my wife thought up a quick cowboy outfit. I think we're going for the Lone Ranger, but frankly, I haven't seen a Lone Ranger show or movie myself, so I'm doubting any8 year-old would know much about them either.
  • Tomorrow is pajama day. We dress our son in sweat pants and a t-shirt for bed. We really don't have acceptable pajamas.
  • Friday is the pep rally and the kids should be in school colors. OK! This we can do! We have a "spirit" t-shirt and a pair of jeans laying around.
The pressure to conform is great! I figure if we get him to school and be sure his homework is done, we're on the right track. But NOOOO! You have to have Spirit Week! So, if you thought us not doing Santa Claus is bad, as well as my desire to tone down Christmas, I can only imagine what you might think of me now. But really, I love kids. They're wonderful. I just don't want them to have any fun. ;-)

2 comments:

Wendy said...

For geek day, this would have been appropriate: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/9190/

Unknown said...

Wow! That is so cool! Nevermind for him...I need one of these for work! :)