Monday, January 07, 2008

Wardrobe Choices for Sports Fans

Today, I'm wearing gray pants and a scarlet (read: red) shirt. Tonight the Buckeyes play for the National Championship. I live in North Carolina. Why do I do this? Are there any ball players or coaches wandering around the campus? Do I think I will inspire them?

In the fall I wear OSU T-shirts and sweatshirts on Saturday, and the same for the Bengals on Sunday. Again, I live in North Carolina. I don't go to games or even sports bars, and yet I wear them. Nobody really sees them during the games except my family, who's wearing the same. Are we inspired by each other? If so, does our collective and mutual inspiration somehow translate into a better team? Nevertheless, tonight I will come home from work, change out of my scarlet and gray work clothes and into my Ohio State T-shirt. I might even wear a hat. (I won't paint my face, though...that's just ridiculous). Tomorrow, if they win, I will opt for another red shirt and a gray sweater vest. Sort of a tacit "I told you so" for anyone noticing my wardrobe two days in a row. If they lose, I will wear my typical clothes and hope no one noticed my clothes from the day before. I will probably leave my OSU flag on my house flying regardless...unless it's a blowout like last year. :-)

Why do we do this? I know it's not just me. I really need to know! It's a sociological emergency!!! (Now where have you seen that last sentence typed anywhere before?)

UPDATE: Oh the humanity! Another year of hearing those around me saying the SEC is dominant. It's ok if it's true...I can deal with that. It's just the arrogance!

Perhaps if I had worn the facepaint it would have made a difference.

1 comment:

Starling said...

Live large. Paint your face ;)