Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Interviewing Tips

One of the advantages about my current job is that I get to learn quite a bit about interviewing and job search techniques. I have jokingly said that I should write a book of things to do and not do in an interview. It would be comical in nature because in hindsight, you can look at what somebody said or wrote and laugh at the fact that they even wrote it. One of the more amusing written appeals for being considered for a position was given to me last year. In that story, this graduate student (looking for student work) was also very offensive/passive aggressive in the email. He was telling me how he always applied and never got a job. This was just after he had received a thanks but no thanks email.

Last week I sat through five phone interviews for one job. Today I have three interviews and lunch with a candidate for a different job on campus. I have just agreed to serve on my second search committee (and third of the fiscal year) and will begin reviewing applications and I have a position that I am suppose to fill as well. It's going to be a busy month, but perhaps this is the first in a series of entries logging some tips I may have seen.
  • In your cover letter, never write the words "I can excel. All I need is a chance."
  • When asked to submit your application electronically, be sure to include all items being requested. It's amazing to me how many people may choose to not send in the resume along with the application when the post requests you submit both.
  • If interviewing for a job for a person who works within a division that also includes disability services, do not walk into the interview 10 minutes late, and apologize because you couldn't find a parking spot and ended up parking in a handicapped spot.
  • If asked a question about the first thing you would do in the job, be sure not to insult another person's work at the table and suggest you would come in and fix that.
  • If questions run out before time does, then one of two things are possible
    • Either those interviewing are not prepared or don't care to be thorough, or
    • They've made their assessment and it's very likely that it's not a positive one.
  • And here's an obvious but sometimes elusive one: Be sure you answer the question. If you're going on and on, most people will listen and go on with you, but be sure in the end, you've covered the initial inquiry.

No comments: