Friday, November 16, 2007

Rules for the Holiday Season

I know people don't like rules because they're so restrictive, negative, etc. But here are some that I'd like to see created/enforced:

  • All radio stations must refrain from playing Christmas music until at least the completion of the first football game on Thanksgiving day. There are now at least two stations in my area playing Christmas music. It's November 16th!!!! One of them is also the only Contemporary Christian station I can get in my car. What this means is that for the next 6 weeks, if I feel like singing in my car, (because I'm following another rule that should be enforced about certain people singing within earshot of others), I will not be able to sing/hear certain favorite tunes for 6+ weeks.
  • Once committed to playing "all Christmas Music," these radio stations must keep playing said music AT LEAST through Christmas day. Turning on the radio at 1pm on Christmas Day and hearing Elton John and Kee Kee Dee is heartbreaking! More acceptable would be to start the music later in the season and play it through the 12 days of Christmas. (That's January 5th). Now admittedly, I don't know if I would want to hear carols through the 5th, but then I'm not sure because we'd be starting it later!
  • Christmas decorations should be limited to inside the house until after the second football game on Thanksgiving day. This is similar to the first rule above. You are allowed to set up earlier, but please don't turn them on until after the Lions and Cowboys have played.
  • Christmas decorations can stay up and lit through the 12th day, but should be off thereafter. They should be completely removed from the outside of the house no later than Martin Luther King Day.

    NOTE: This does not include decorations and music inside your house. What you do in there is completely up to you. Just be sure to shut the window if you're gonna sing like me. :-)

    There....I feel better.
  • No comments: