Saturday, November 10, 2007

One job not lost to technology

So lately, we've been letting our kids watch Wheel of Fortune with us. It seems slightly educational, so we allow it. Much has changed on this show, and I sometimes wonder if people even remember that it was originally hosted by Chuck Woolery. How about when Vanna turned the letters? Well, that was the method for a real long time too. Eventually that changed to Vanna lighting up the letters. Now, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but this seemed a little unnecessary to me. Surely you could automate the lights coming on or something. Well sure enough, they now have Toss Up puzzles where the lights of the letters come on quickly. I think Vanna starts these puzzles as well, but for the most part she just stands there waiting for the puzzle to end. I don't think she's really needed for the function of the show. Now, at first I felt sorry for her, but now I realize she's really lucky. They didn't completely automate her job. She still gets to do her letter thing. Hat's off to Merv Griffin Enterprises for not firing her. She must be adding something to the appeal of the show....I wonder what that could be?

No comments: