Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Christian Liberty - Question #3: Alcohol

I will have to say there are some very conservative folks where I live right now. It's very different from when I lived in the Northeast, especially on issues such as alcohol and gambling. Many of the churches here also expect their congregates to not drink any alcoholic beverages. I have to admit such rules are often needed, NOT because the actions by themselves are sinful, but they may ultimately lead to sin, or they may compromise the witness of the Christian or the larger Christian body in which the person is serving. I have been on short term mission trips where it was expected that we did not drink. This makes sense since it may become a stumbling point to people within the larger organization.

But can Christians drink alcoholic beverages? Why or why not?


A similar aside: Watching the news this morning, one of the smaller villages near Charlotte voted yesterday to approve adult beverages being served at local restaurants. (In 2002 they allowed grocery stores to sell them). When speaking to one of the opponents (to approving the sales), the person said, "I have never once heard of anyone saying that drinking has improved their personal or family lives." My initial thought was, "I haven't heard anyone say this about eating bacon either." I suppose I tipped my hand here, but the faulty argument bothered me.

No comments: