Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Medical Extortion

So, the family and I go on a nice weekend trip to Myrtle Beach. It was great! And interestingly, my son and I, who both have asthma, seemed to have cleared up from some of the fall allergies while we were there. This was also great! Unfortunately, upon our return, histamine invoking allergens were their waiting for us, and yours truly here somehow left his inhaler somewhere back in South Carolina. Oh bother! I rarely needed it but it's not very comfortable going without it. Sometimes, if you're hit really hard with an attack, you can struggle to get a decent breath. So last week, I called my doctor's office who I have only seen once since moving here. They actually have a "prescription refill line." Very progressive! I suspect there is a doctor living somewhere overseas who's sole duty is to refill meds. May as well offshore it and save a few bucks. Anyhow, I leave a message requesting albuterol because I left my inhaler at the beach. I was told to check my pharmacy a day later. Checked then pharmacy then...no luck. Check again yesterday and still no prescription. No call from the doctor, either. So then my wife calls the doctor's office. Their response is that it's been over two years since they have seen me and they will not put the prescription in until I come in to see them. Now, it's important to note that albuterol is not a controlled substance. There is no street value. And even if it were a controlled substance, it's taken me over two years to use one canister of the stuff and I only need a new one because my expired one is somewhere in Myrtle Beach! I concede it's time for a checkup. I'm 40 and I'm sure they're very excited to give me a little tune-up or something. But withholding my medicine until I get there in this case amounts to Medical Extortion. If it were a narcotic, or something I'd be ok with it. But now, I am put in a position where I will need to fight through wheezing until I see a doctor. I'm sure it's in my best interests and all...I'll just try not to breathe much until I get in. Oh, and Dr. W...you're fired. I figure if I can go a couple of years without seeing you, it's just the right time to find another practice.

No comments: