Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Profiling a college student


OK, I will be the first to claim that I refuse to "judge a book by it's cover." I will however admit to taking weight in initial assessments of people. It's actually kind of fun. You assess someone's personality, and then if you get to know them later you assess how well you assessed. (note to self: look up synonyms for"assess"). Much of this I do from a distance through revealing things such as bumper stickers, vanity plates and apparel.

So, this morning, I'm walking in to the office and I see a young lady with a handbag that says, "I 'Heart' Me." So a few things I'd love to find out about this person. Did she buy this herself? Did an ex-boyfriend give it to her? I'm guessing probably her parents. Or, if she bought it for herself, does she really believe it? Honestly, I think she does from an external perspective, and maybe to her detriment. Internally, she might struggle with the exact same thing. Why would people who love themselves, need to let others know that they do? Does this statement attract or repel others. For me, it would repel.

Or, as someone else said to me, perhaps it just means she vacationed in Maine and picked this up at a gift shop. Anyhow, the process of learning about people is fascinating to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This posting was an inspiration: http://lifehound.blogspot.com/2007/09/its-all-about-me.html

Starling said...

Roughly how old was this person? It seems that this is the purchase/sartorial choice of a teenager. You know, the kind of person who buys a t-shirt saying, "I'm blonde - I don't need to know math" simply because they think it's cute. They don't think about what a horribly offensive, demeaning statement it actually is.

I'm not sure it's something to worry about, unless the person in question is my age or older. The overly public "I heart ME" phase seems to be normal for the late teenage years. If it's still in place around 25 or so, I'd be put off.