Sunday, July 13, 2008

Hardin Family Tour 2008: Dayton, Ohio

Last Thursday we arrived in Dayton, for the first time in over 10 years. Tina and I met at Wright State University and spent 8 years together in this town. We figured after a decade it was time to travel back to where our relationship began. While traveling I thought it might be good to blog about my observations along the way.
  • It only took me ten years to miss Dayton! That's less than expected, and it's good to be back.
  • I underestimated the joy I would feel when seeing the smiles of retiremnt home residents when they saw my boys. The elderly just love seeing life in young children.
  • About 20 years ago, during college an elderly couple "adopted" a bunch of college students. We were able to surprise Mrs. Ramsey and serve her Tea and sweets. This was the highlight of our Dayton leg.
  • I had forgotten how nice a good "cuppa" with some sweets were. It was a great time.
  • That brand new apartment building that we moved into in 1995 didn't look quite as nice. As a matter of fact it looked a lot like the one we moved out of in 1995.
  • We went by both of our old churches. The one we were married in and the one we went to after that. The second has a slogan/motto of "Love Grows Here."
  • Speaking of slogans, we also passed a church with the most peculiar slogan Ive ever seen. I don't like when churches brag on themselves, but this didn't suffer from that. It was "The Vineyard: A Pretty Good Church." That didn't necessarily make me want to jump out of bed yesterday and check this one out. :-)
  • I had a joke with Tina years ago. We would pass Solid Rock Church in Monroe and I would remark how big the portico was out front. It was quite extravagant and we would remark on how it had to cost a fortune and wondered whether it was good stewardship to build it. Since then, they've developed a little more but if you look closely at the picture, you can see the portico behind what many now call "Touchdown Jesus." I'm glad they self-regulate their stewardship and do such a great job of remaining tasteful with their building. (Click on the picture to enlarge). Additional Statue Information is here.

No comments: