Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hallway Etiquette

Recently I moved across campus to a building near some different "clients" of mine. These are people I support or associate with who now see me when I step out of my office. Now I don't know if this is just me, but I'm beginning to get annoyed with what appears to be a lack of Hallway etiquette. Let me explain. I don't have a large number of subordinates in a closed space where my job is such that I manage by walking around. Therefore, if I am walking in the halls, it's for a purpose other than to casually ask clients how things are going. I'm on a mission of some sort. So allow me to enlighten and express myself at the same time:
  • If I am coming in to my office with a bag of hot fast food around lunch time, it is not an invitation to say hello, walk in with me and proceed to talk to me for 30 minutes. My office is cold and the food is initially warm. I would like for it to stay that way all the way down my throat!
  • If I am leaving my office and passing your office towards the men's room, please do me a favor and at the very least, wait until I'm coming back out of the men's room! I still don't care for being stopped and asked work-related questions, but have a little compassion.
  • If I walk by the window of your office while you are waiting to ambush me, well...just don't.
The rule of thumb is to either call or come knock on my door. At least meet me on my own turf. Otherwise I may be afraid to even leave my office, and I don't think the university will pay for my own personal restroom and Chick-Fil-A restaurant.

There, I'm done. Thank you for "listening."

No comments: