Sunday, December 23, 2007

Encouraging Shopping Experiences

Finished up my shopping in fairly efficient fashion over the past few days. I find it sort of fun to shop during the last days before Christmas. (Still not a fan of the rush, though). You learn a lot about people. For the most part, the good nature of people comes out. I'm not the only one smiling at strangers while you're fighting the crowds. It's one of those times where you wish people could act this way all year around. My sons accompanied me on my trips too and were nothing but excellent companions. They showed lots of patience and didn't complain.

One thing I notice when I'm out is that I think 90% of the time I was asked to show ID when paying with credit. Personally I gladly pull out the picture and share it. I usually thank them for checking it too. I think of it not as the clerk showing distrust of me, but rather protecting me. I figure if they're doing it with me then if I lose my wallet some day, they will do it with the dishonest person who may try to use the same card. (I just hope they don't look like me :-) ).

Now with a day or two to go, it's just the menu and wrapping left to do. we taught Sunday School to 2nd graders today, so with the shopping done, it's snice to slow down and try to think more about the incredible gift given to us 2000+ years ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In NJ, they don't check IDs when buying things with credit? Dave & I are always surprised when leave the state and have to present ID along with our credit card.