Friday, August 26, 2011

Objectivism/Ayn Rand

Growing up I was a huge fan of Rush, (and still am a fan).  Consequently, it was cool to think Ayn Rand is cool.  Mainly because she had one novel that influenced the the writing of "2112."  I read that novel, which in and of itself was thought provoking.

Ayn Rand is best known for a Philosophy called Objectivism.  The summation of this philosphy, from an ethical point of view is characterized by a statement of one of her Characters in "Atlas Shrugged:"
"I swear -- by my life and my love of it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
While Ms. Rand may have influenced prominent people such as Alan Greenspan, I personally find this philosophy, or the creator of it a bit whacked.

You can find many interviews with her on youtube.

No comments: