Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Pair o' Dime Props: Joyce Theis

As a kid, typically a group of friends seem to congregate at one house. This was the case for me and the house I spent a good portion of my high school and college years belonged to John and Joyce Theis. Their house was awesome! A nice stereo in the basement as well as a pool table, dart board, board games and a piano. It was a "party basement." My buddy Jim and his brother Bill had a few parties there too. It seemed that every day after school, we'd head over to Jim's house and shoot pool and listen to Rush, Styx, Boston or Jethro Tull. They'd even let me put on The Kinks from time to time. But this post really isn't about that. It's about the fact that when you spend a lot of time with a good childhood friend at his house, you become extended family. I found myself often calling Jim's folks mom and dad.

"Mom Theis" was a sweetheart! The mom of three of her own kids and adopted as a mom by others, she always seemed to have a nice smile for you. If you were lucky she'd even greet you with a kiss. Despite spending most of the time in the basement playing pool, I have some fond memories of Mrs. Theis. Twenty-five years ago I went to Christmas Eve service with the Theis family. It was the first time I ever took communion. She was kneeling next to me at the altar of their Lutheran church and I remember her uttering "Amen" as she received the elements. Mrs. Theis was completely deaf in one ear and had about 10% hearing in the other one. In church she sang out with gusto and you knew it sounded perfect to her heavenly father. Soon after this, Mr. and Mrs. Theis taught me and Jim how to play bridge and I had the privilege of spending many evenings playing cards with them. Mrs. Theis was from Georgia and had that wonderful Georgia drawl. She would occasionally say with the accent, "That makes me madder than a wet hen!" For some reason, I absolutely loved hearing her say that.

About six or seven years ago, Mrs. Theis was diagnosed with Lung Cancer. Knowing the gravity of that particular form of cancer I know many of her friends were praying for Mrs. Theis. She was about 72 or 73 when she was diagnosed and that made things even more concerning. Thankfully, God gave those around her another six or seven years to enjoy her company until she passed away this past Friday. I've been told she was ready, willing and waiting, so the sadness is for those who knew her. I'll miss her smile, her greeting, her beef stew and her apple cake. She's a wonderful lady who can now can take deep breaths, hear everything around her and still sing with gusto. I hadn't seen Mrs. Theis for a few years, but I will still miss her. I will make her apple cake later this week and will think about her during Christmas when I have communion.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Rus,

Please give Jim and family my sympathy. It is wonderful to read how she touched your life and I am confident that you touched hers as well.

Can I have the apple cake recipe to include in the family cookbook?

Love,
Karen